Uniform Complaint Procedure / Title IX Coordination

The District encourages the early, informal resolution of complaints at the site level whenever possible. Parents or guardians of students in the Val Verde Unified School District are urged therefore, to discuss their concerns directly with the school site employee(s) in question.

In accordance with the California Code of Regulations, the Val Verde Unified School District has established procedures for handling different types of complaints. The types of complaints are listed below along with links to the corresponding complaint form.

Types of Complaints:

Complaints Concerning District Personnel

Every effort should be made to resolve the concerns of parents/guardians at the site or office level at the earliest possible stage. If a complainant is unable or unwilling to resolve the complaint directly with the employee, s/he may submit an oral or written complaint to the employee’s principal or immediate supervisor. A complaint related to a principal or central office administrator shall be initially filed in writing to the Superintendent. Complaints against the Superintendent shall be submitted, in writing, to the Board of Education.

  • Administrative Regulation 1312.1 

  • Board Policy 1312.1  

  • Complaint Concerning District Personnel 

  • Williams Complaint Form 

Complaints Concerning Instructional Materials

Complaints concerning instructional materials will be accepted only from staff, District residents, or the parents/guardians of children enrolled in a District school.

  • Administrative Regulation 1312.2  

  • Board Policy 1312.2  

  • Complaints Concerning Content of Instructional Materials  

  • Complaints Concerning Instructional Materials  

  • Williams Complaint Form 

Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP)

This complaint procedure governs complaints of discrimination, harassment, violence, intimidation, and bullying on the basis of actual or perceived age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, ethnic group identification, race, ancestry, national origin, religion, color, or mental or physical disability or on a person's association with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics in any program or activity that receives or benefits from state financial assistance. The UCP shall also be used when addressing complaints alleging failure to comply with state and/or federal laws in (1) Career Technical Education, (2) Child Care and Development Programs including state preschool, (3) Consolidated Categorical Programs, (4) Discrimination, Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying, (5) Foster and Homeless Youth, (6) Local Control Funding Formula and Local Control Accountability Plans, (7) NCLB Titles I-III, (8) Nutrition Services – USDA Civil Rights, (9) School Facilities, (10) Special Education, and (11) Tobacco-Use Prevention Education Program.  The UCP form is available in the main office at all schools and on the District website.

  • Administrative Regulation 1312.3 

  • Board Policy 1312.3 (UCP)  

  • Notice of Uniform Complaint Procedures  

  • Rules and instructions about the filing, investigation, and resolution of a Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP) complaint  

  • Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP) brochure  

  • Pupil Fees brochure-Uniform Complaint Procedures  

  • UCP Annual Notice  

  • Uniform Complaint Procedures Form 

  • Uniform Complaint Procedures Student Services   

  • Complaint Form  

  • Uniform Complain Procedures 

  • Williams Complaint Form 

Title IX Information and Resources

The following are a list of rights, which are based upon Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.

(a) You have the right to fair and equitable treatment and you shall not be discriminated against based on your sex.

(b) You have the right to be provided with an equitable opportunity to participate in all academic extracurricular activities, including athletics.

(c) You have the right to inquire of the athletic director of your school as to the athletic opportunities offered by the school.

(d) You have the right to apply for athletic scholarships.

(e) You have the right to receive equitable treatment and benefits in the provision of all of the following: equipment and supplies, scheduling of games and practices, transportation and daily allowances, access to tutoring, coaching, locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities, medical and training facilities and services, publicity.

(f) You have the right to have access to a gender equity coordinator to answer questions regarding gender equity laws.

(g) You have the right to contact the State Department of Education and the California Interscholastic Federation to access information on gender equity laws.

(h) You have the right to file a confidential discrimination complaint with the United States Office of Civil Rights or the State Department of Education if you believe you have been discriminated against or if you believe you have received unequal treatment on the basis of your sex.

(i) You have the right to pursue civil remedies if you have been discriminated against.

(j) You have the right to be protected against retaliation if you file a discrimination complaint.

Williams Uniform Complaint Procedures

Complaints regarding the sufficiency of instructional materials, teacher vacancy or misassignment, and emergency or urgent facilities conditions that pose a threat to the health and safety of students, should be submitted in writing using the Williams UCP form. The Williams UCP form is available in the main office at all schools and on the District website.

  • Administrative Regulation 1312.4  

  • Williams Uniform Complaint Procedures Form  

  • Williams Uniform Complaint Procedures Form  

District Compliance Officer / Title IX Coordinator

The Governing Board has designated the following Compliance Officer to receive and investigate complaints and ensure District compliance with the law:

Title IX Coordinator
C.W. Smith, Ed.D.
Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources
Empire Union School District 
116 North McClure Road
Modesto, CA 95357
(209) 521-2800